MONDAY MUSINGS: Be Still and Know

January 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM 6 comments

Good grief, is it Monday again?

I can’t believe it’s been a whole week since last Monday. Or almost a month since January 1st. At this rate, we’ll be talking about 2015 before you know it!

Which makes me feel like I need to rush even faster to keep up. “Hurry, hurry…before it all passes you by!”  But truth be told, I think it’s really the opposite. My guess is, to make the most of 2012 I actually need to slow myself down. To experience it fully before it catapults past and is lost forever. Utterly counter-intuitive, I admit, but I’m gonna test the theory just the same.

So today, though I feel like rushing forward like a chicken with my head cut off, I’m gonna force myself to slow down for just a moment. To drink in God’s goodness. To listen to my heart. To set some simple goals that reflect who I truly am in Christ…and who He wants me to become.

Aaaaaaahh…there, I can almost feel my legs again. And the psalmist’s words begin to echo in my spirit: “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)

Maybe you need to slow it down too, as your week gets started? You may only have five or ten minutes to spare, or maybe you have the luxury of a longer period of stillness. But it doesn’t always take as long as we think. Breathe in, and out…and let your heart truly be still in His Presence for a few precious moments.

And as you bask in His Presence, simply for the sake of doing it, clarity and direction have a funny way of opening up…like the wardrobe door into Narnia!

Entry filed under: Monday Musings. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , .

FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: What I Learned from 2011 FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: When is Enough…Enough?

• 1. Lora  |  January 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Thank you for the reminder, Kim! The pressures of Monday really do trigger anxiety and the increased urgings to rush-rush-rush. I’m going to make a conscious effort to push them aside and be still before the Lord and listen…

• 2. Kimosphere  |  January 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Yes, let’s band together and BAN Monday stress!! God has such a better way for us. 😀 (and yet it really takes a conscious effort, doesn’t it?) Thanks for sharing!

• 3. Jennifer Nigh  |  January 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Ah this resonates deeply! This particular message to slow down and focus on him is a recurring in all areas of life. Gods kingdom math is such that when we focus on him he miraculously returns that time back ten-fold and sometimes immeasurably more! In our ADD-smartphone-gotta-have it-yesterday world, time is rushing by faster than we can grasp. But when we stop and sit still in His presence and KNOW that He is God we see that that crazy pace we run in is world-time not God-time. In world-time the present is past, and the future is in the present to worry over and manipulate to our advantage. In God-time the present is very present and the future is eternal and worry has no foothold. Ahhhhh! I can breathe again!!

• 4. Kimosphere  |  January 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Wow, sounds like you could write a pretty slammin’ blog post on the subject yourself!! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I’m glad we BOTH can breathe again. Thank you, Lord. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh… 😀

• 5. Jenn  |  January 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Thank you Kim for the reminder to stop and reflect of who we are in Christ and not just to ask but to listen as well. Love you!

• 6. Kimosphere  |  January 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reminder that prayer is not only talking, but listening. Love you, Jenn!