MONDAY MUSINGS: Growth

February 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM 5 comments

You know, more and more lately, I’m drawn toward “to-do list” items that spur me to GROW. Frankly, anything less just doesn’t hold much interest for me.

Yet I can hear some of your objections already…

…Well I have three kids and a full-time job!

…No kidding, my to-do list is made for me before I start!!

…Must be nice to have the luxury, but I live in the REAL world!!!

Fair enough. No one (myself included) has time to sit around and contemplate spiritual growth 24/7. In fact, if we did, it probably wouldn’t be all that healthy. True spiritual growth is birthed and refined in the crucible of everyday life. It’s where the rubber meets the road. And the truth of Scripture meets our Monday to-do list.

So like you, this morning I was faced with some tasks I wasn’t all that jazzed about. Yet nothing made it onto my list unless I saw a direct line between it and “growing” forward. Even if it’s just the chance to practice patience through yet another 2-minute tech task that drags on for 2 hours. Or stretching my faith by taking one more step toward a God-ordained goal. It’s all growth.

So I’m wondering…what’s on your to-do list today?

Any idea what sort of  lessons those daily tasks can help you learn?

Patience? Follow-thru? Faithfulness? Resilience?

Also wondering…is there anything on your list you actually ENJOY doing?

After all, not all growth has to be painful. If we’re training ourselves to live out the fruit of the Spirit, shouldn’t at least SOME of that training be joyful?

Hmm, let me ponder that one for a moment. Okay, I’m adding a joyful item to my list:  a Valentine-Eve chocolate break! Not spiritual enough?

Mmm…I beg to differ!

“Taste & see that the Lord is good…” PSALM 34:8

Entry filed under: Growth Spurts, Monday Musings. Tags: , , , , , , .

FRIDAY REFLECTIONS, SATURDAY EDITION: More Hush…Less Rush FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: Flight of the Bumblebee

• 1. Me Jennifer Turchi  |  February 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

1. Growth potential: check.
    2. Growing pains: check.
    3. Actual growth: TBD

So grateful God accepts a work in progress! Thank you Lord!

• 2. Kimosphere  |  February 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Yeah, we’re ALL works in progress!

• 3. Lora  |  February 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I’m with you on the chocolate break! 🙂

I only see growth after the trial is over (waaaaaayyyyy afterward), and it’s always a shock to me: I was learning lessons that I seriously had no clue God was teaching me. I’m dense in that way spiritually…I honestly can’t see what He’s doing while I’m inside the situations. I’m glad you can–it does help to know the purpose and opportunity for growth in distasteful situations. (Hence, the tasty chocolate breaks and focusing on blessings I *can* see to get me through the rest! 😉

• 4. Kimosphere  |  February 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I think we’re all a little “dense” where that’s concerned. 😀 That’s probably why God brings us thru similar situations several times in a row…til we realize, “Oh yeah, I think I’ve been here before!” PTL for thankfulness & chocolate breaks…they get us thru!

• 5. Exercises To Get Lean  |  March 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM