FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: Would you believe…???

March 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM 5 comments

So far I’d say my plan to transition to a Friday-only posting schedule has been a colossal bust.

Last Monday I made this big announcement that I’d no longer be posting on Mondays. Then, come Friday – or DAY 1 as we call it in the blogging world – I went completely AWOL. To be honest, I completely forgot. Apparently I’m so in the habit of the Monday/Friday posting schedule, that it threw me waaaaaaaaaaaay off to deviate from it. That and one other little thing.

I was in jail…

What???

Don’t worry, it was a short stint – and they let me out for good behavior. (Actually they let me out cuz my hand was stamped with glow-in-the-dark ink, but that’s another story…)

What in fact happened was that I was there to lead a chapel service that a friend of mine hosts at the Tennessee Prison for Women. True confessions, this was not my first time in the slammer – I’d actually been part of a chapel service  before, but this was my first time to go solo. Honestly, I was a little nervous, but not for the reasons you might think.

Even though some of the women are there for serious offenses (last time one lady told me she was there for 40 years), most who attend the chapel services are genuinely interested in growing in Christ. So I wasn’t afraid they’d scoff, throw things at me, or rush the stage. More than anything, I was afraid of NOT saying anything that was truly relevant to their daily lives. After all, what did I  know about prison life? Less than zilch is the less-than-encouraging phrase that kept ringing  in my head as I prepared for the big day.

But as it turned out, my fears were unfounded. It’s amazing how level the ground is at the foot of the cross. No one was better or worse. And everything was relevant. We were all girls who had somehow messed up, gone astray, and been “found” by the Lover of our souls. And we were all doing our best, in the midst of our current circumstances, to find the “growing edge” – to allow Jesus to become more central to our lives, as our troubles and sorrows took their proper place in light of His love.

I was struck by how freely they participated in the Bible study, and even more deeply touched by their prayer requests. Almost all of them asked for prayer for someone other than themselves. In the midst of probably the toughest season of their entire lives, they were far more concerned about the well-being of their families back home than they were about whatever struggles they currently faced. And then, the cherry on top. As we closed our time together, one of the women spoke up. “Now we’re gonna pray for you guys.” And she led the women in prayer for my friend and me.

Freedom is an amazing thing. It’s far less dependent on our external circumstances, and far more a result of our internal state of heart and mind than we tend to think. And this past Friday, I witnessed a little piece of freedom…at a  state prison.

I pray you are experiencing freedom in Christ this week. If you’re not, I hope you’ll take a moment right now to surrender to Him whatever’s holding you captive. As Jesus said in Luke 4:18-19:

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

See you Friday…Lord willing, and my brain works properly!

Entry filed under: Friday Reflections. Tags: , , , , .

MONDAY MUSINGS: Fond Farewell FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: Silly Friends

• 1. Lora  |  March 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Kim, that was so beautiful…I’m so thankful you were able to minister & be ministered to in such a special way.

BTW, I don’t care what day you write. I think you should just surprise us on random days with your creative & inspirational insights! 🙂

• 2. Kimosphere  |  March 31, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Thank you dear Lora. Yeah, I’m considering your suggestion about random days. Only trouble with that is without a deadline, I don’t always write! But I’m so glad that the prison story was a blessing. That is motivating in and of itself!

• 3. Evan Money  |  March 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Kim, let Lora and I free you of your blog frustrations and let me change your belief that wearing your bathrobe all day is a sin.

Many a time I have worn my robe well past noon : ) However I’m still creating wealth and encouraging others and living a life of greatness. Just because I’m in my robe has no effect on my productivity.

Now on your blog, just write when you feel like it. You can even do it twice a day! Fly and be FREE! Don’t let your blog chain you down, let lift your spirits. Like an artist saying ” every Friday I’m going to be creative” weather I like it or not. This may work for some but not for you, in my opinion.

Be FREE and BE GREAT!

• 4. Kimosphere  |  March 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I will definitely ponder that suggestion, Evan. Thanks for your thoughts. As for the bathrobe, I had to laugh at your comments! I don’t think it’s a sin to stay in my bathrobe…then again, there can be a point of diminishing returns at some point! But I thank you for your reminder that we’re not all cut out of the same cookie cutter, and I will try to lighten up a bit & enjoy the shape I’m cut out to be. Thanks!

• 5. Kim Avery  |  March 27, 2012 at 3:40 AM

I love the reminder that all things are level at the foot of the cross. It reminds me of the old hymn, “Amazing love, How can it be, That Thou my God should die for me.”

Thanks!