FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: Heat Wave

July 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM 5 comments

America’s in the middle of a blistering heat wave

…and Nashville is NO exception.

In fact, it’s hot as “h-e-double-hockey-sticks” here. Record highs are being recorded, and my husband and I can’t wait for the breezy west coast temperatures later this summer…while struggling with every breath to get ANY work done in the meantime!

Some days are like that.

Especially hot summer days. By about 2:00, all you can think about is “get cool, get cool, get cool…” And suddenly things like popsicles and personal fans seem to be smack dab in the center of God’s will for your life.

Then again, I suppose the reverse is true for chilly winter days when socks and blankets are all we can think about. And by mid-autumn, we’re already longing to “sloooooooooow it down,” while in the pre-summer months “spring fever” makes it nearly impossible to concentrate.

To quote Rosanna Rosanna-Dana from Saturday Night Live: “It’s aaaaaaaalways something.”

Life is always presenting some sort of challenge. Rare are the days when work is easy and everything flows smoothly. Rare and glorious. But what about the OTHER 350 days of the year?!

I was thinking about that today as I struggled with an aching back, a not-quite-right stomach, and 100 degree heat with a side of humidity. In times past, I would’ve just closed shop for the day. But not today. I’m realizing more and more that time is short. Even if we live 80+ years, time on this earth is very short. And I for one, want to fully LIVE while I’m here!

Inching our way forward must become a way of life, or we’ll always be waiting to live. Granted, we may not get quite as much done on the really difficult days. Today I had to coax myself forward with all kinds of things: timers, ice packs, and yes…popsicles! I also had to make a conscious choice to stop griping about how bad I felt, and start “making lemonade” out of what God had allowed into my life today.

And through that process, I got to thinking…

Could it be that sometimes God is using the OBSTACLE we feel is in the way to direct our path TOWARD the very lesson we need to learn? Like allowing ill health so we learn daily discipline. Or letting us go through hardships which teach us not to be easily discouraged. Personally, there are some lessons I learn best when there’s no other alternative. How about you?

I hope you’ve been able to stay cool this summer, and that you’ve had a lovely obstacle-free day. Yet if perchance, like me, you’ve been going through a personal “heat wave,” allow me to remind you that God CAN and WILL use it for good in your life, as He will in mine. Just as soon as we stop wrestling…and start cooperating!

Entry filed under: Friday Reflections. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , .

FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: Shift Focus FRIDAY REFLECTIONS: Summer Sabbatical

• 1. ruthie glynn  |  July 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM

that’s cool girl… I needed a little encouragement… all this pictures are amazing too… love u!

• 2. Kimosphere  |  July 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I love that you thought the heat wave blog post was “cool.” 😀 Perfect!

• 3. Fatima Eid  |  July 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Such a beautiful reminder today! Thank you! We are all so blessed, and have so much to be thankful for. I keep hearing over and over that “time is short “Thanks and we need to focus on Him, and His plan. It can be so easy to get distracted and dissatisfied by daily struggles and whatI we do not have, we forget about all the precious gifts we already have.

• 4. Kimosphere  |  July 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for that eloquent comment, Fatima.

• 5. margie houmes  |  October 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hi Kim,
    I love your site. It is so bright and colorful. Creative not ho hum!
    Loved your message! There is nothing like a picture!
    I love you,