Birthday Blessing…

March 14, 2013 at 6:17 AM 12 comments

Paul&Kim1(2)

Happy birthday, babe…YOU’RE the gift!

Today is my husband’s birthday. The day we celebrate the fact that he was thought up by God, created, and introduced to this world!

This year is more of a “working birthday” for him, as he travels to various locations doing music and comedy. As I got up in the wee hours of the morning to see him off (something I rarely do, believe me) I sensed the Lord prompting me to write a blog post. “Really?!”     I asked. What on earth would I write about?

And then I ran across this picture, and it dawned. I could write about Paul.

What can you say about the single most influential person in your life…besides Jesus?

I could go on and on…

Yet in honor of Paul, who’s in charge of brevity in our house, I’ll try and keep it short. (something else I rarely do!)

As many of you know, Paul is incredibly funny. A gifted comedian and musician, he can get people rolling with laughter with a simple raise of his eyebrow. Not only that, he’s also an honest-to-goodness wordsmith, crafting clever and insightful turns of phrases with an ease that would leave most of us in the dust. When he hits the stage, it’s truly a one-of-a-kind “Paul Aldrich experience” you will never forget!

Yet He’s also the wisest “wise guy” I’ve ever met. He doesn’t lead with it, so not everyone knows – but God has truly given Him the wisdom of Solomon on a variety of subjects. He has a way of cutting to the chase and summing things up so simply and concisely, you find yourself shaking your head and thinking, “Well of course! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that myself.” Yet often he does. Not to mention his uncanny ability to make a quirky remark at just the right moment to get me laughing…when I feel like crying.

He’s also an incredible servant, and has supported me through many an illness, writing stretch, and season of ministry. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve woken up to a hot cup of tea, found a salad next to my computer as I worked, or been supported in ministry by his listening ear and wise advise. Yep. He’s a keeper!

Does the man have any faults, you may ask? Oh sure. He makes sarcastic comments at the oddest times (“really, babe, I’m not sure you’re supposed to joke about the pope”), watches every sport imaginable at every hour possible (“Can’t you TiVo the NBA games that go til midnight?”), and refuses to wear his glasses while cleaning (“hey honey, are you sure you cleaned the sink…there’s about an inch worth of hair from when you shaved last”). But those are hardly worth mentioning.

They’re just enough to remind me that the man is, in fact, human after all. 😀

So Paul, today on your special day of gifts, cards, and birthday wishes, allow me to quote back to you one of your own encouraging phrases…

Babe, YOU are the gift!

Ready to laugh? Check out http://www.paulaldrich.com

Entry filed under: 2013, Love & Marriage, Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Welcome Back to The Growing Edge Blog! STUCK IN SATURDAY

• 1. Kay DeKalb Smith  |  March 14, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Kimmie….this was GREAT!! I loved it!!!

• 2. Kimosphere  |  March 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Thanks, Kay!

• 3. vondaskelton  |  March 14, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Happy birthday to a wise and funny (I know from experience!) guy. Kim, we sure are blessed with wonderful husbands, aren’t we? Love the photo!

• 4. Kimosphere  |  March 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Yes, we are blessed!

• 5. Jenny Noyes  |  March 14, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I love how you honor your husband in this blogpost on his special day! What a cute couple you two make! Two beautiful (and funny!) people inside and out!

• 6. Kimosphere  |  March 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Thanks Jenny!

• 7. marciagaddis  |  March 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Hi Kim! What a terrific birthday tribute to your man – and what a cute picture of you both! What a blessing to have me who love us in spite of ourselves, right! Hope you are well. Your writing is great!

• 8. Kimosphere  |  March 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Oh wow, Marcia, haven’t talked with you in SO long! What a blessing to hear from you. 😀

• 9. shine2911  |  March 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

I love you, Lord , my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield [ b ] and the horn [ c ] of my salvation, my stronghold

• 10. Kimosphere  |  March 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Thanks for the comment. And yes, the Lord is ALL of that!

• 11. Patsy Rae Dawson  |  March 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Hi Kim, I so enjoyed this piece. It just so happens when I read it, I had Paul’s CD in the car so I was laughing along with him when I ran errands. I so love the song he wrote to dyslexia women, that I skipped forward to it and listened to it twice. I really marvel at his way with words. Thank you for sharing him with the Christian Communication Conference gals by giving us all his CD. Tell him Happy Birthday from us all.

• 12. Kimosphere  |  March 31, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Hi Patsy! Glad his CD has been a blessing to you! I’ll pass along your birthday wishes to Paul. 😀